He was one of the midfielders who best understood football through possession of the ball. Having demonstrated this during his time as a footballer, he now tries to instill these values in his team as a coach. Here are some interesting facts about Xabi Alonso!
- Xabi Alonso, a native of Tolosa (Guipúzcoa), has football in his blood. He is the son of the legendary ex-footballer, Periko Alonso, who won the two historic LaLiga Santander championships with Real Sociedad. Similarly, Xabi's brothers are also involved in the wonderful world of the beautiful game. Mikel Alonso, now retired, led a successful career as a midfielder in LaLiga, defending the shirt of clubs such as the ‘txuri-urdin’ team or CD Tenerife. In turn, his little brother, Jon Alonso, is a football referee by profession.
- The Tolosa midfielder made his LaLiga debut at the age of 18, defending the colors of the club of his life: Real Sociedad. The team where he was presented as one of the youngest promises in the world of football and played a total of 114 games, in which he scored nine goals. In fact, he was a key part of the historic team that was runner-up in LaLiga Santander in the 2002/03 season.
- In 2009, Xabi Alonso returned to the competition wearing the Real Madrid shirt, where he is also considered to be a club legend. He played 159 games and scored four goals during five seasons in the league competition. In fact, in the 2011/12 campaign he managed to win the LaLiga Santander title.
- Trained on the grounds of Real Sociedad, he decided to accept the goal of bringing the second ‘txuri-urdin’ team to LaLiga SmartBank. Based on good football and values, the San Sebastian club will play next season in the silver category, with Xabi Alonso as the trainer.
- Apart from his passion for football, in his spare time he enjoys fishing or listening to a good album by his favorite singer from Madrid, Quique González.